Monday, June 28, 2010

Never have I ever claimed to be politically literate

Want to hear about some of the things I've learned on my travels to Canada?

Un: The border patrol people are NOT friendly (not that I think they should be). The b-word looked at us with disdain when we said "no" to her "You don't know what the G-20 is??" accusation. I'm sorry--world leaders are not something that math and English teachers cover in 7th grade, ok, honey?? Yeah, and thanks for NOT explaining it to us.

Deux: I can only name one of the 20 world leaders in Toronto this weekend. Ha. You still love me, right?

Trois: GPS devices have a hard time directing you to your hotel if there's a police blockade down every street you turn.

Quatre: The safest place to be after rioting is a gay village. Two separate people told us we'd be very safe there and we were. However, the people did not warn us about the possibility of naked 70 year olds air-drying on their balconies. My eyes...my eyes...

Five (No one speaks French around these parts so I'll go to English counting): I take back my "no one" comment in parenthesis. SOMEONE does speak French around here: the cop who was chilling with us in the whirlpool last night. Yup, his first language is French. Point, psychic. However, I don't think it was a good match for me--I don't do paw print chest tattoos or cocky cops. Bring me another Frenchman. Please.

Six: White swim trunks are see-through. Thanks for that permanent mental image, Ben from London. This guy was more personable than cop-man. Maybe it was his accent but I enjoyed his chit-chat. AND he actually knew where Indiana was on the map!

Seven: Police(wo)men on horses do not carry lassos. They do, however, wear bad-ass helmets and have long nightsticks. The cops were out in full force again tonight. From what I read online, people were protesting outside police headquarters (very very very near to our hotel) because the police restrained people over they weekend during the riots. Hmmm. Is that not in the job description of police department? Silly Canadians.

Eight: If you go to Niagara Falls, go on the Maid of the Mist. And not just because Jim and Pam got hitched on it. When you're on the boat, be sure to secure your hood and wear sunglasses before you head directly into the falls. The water pressure/spray from the falls is intense. So neat.

Pictures to come...probably via fb...

3 comments:

Dave said...

I didn't even know world leaders were getting together in Toronto, so I guess I'm in the boat with you...

Britta said...

When you wrote the title of this post, did you have all 5 fingers up?

MegHan said...

Of course I did, Britta.