Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson

I'm very glad I don't have to work today for right now I am witnessing HIStory. Michael's body is currently en route to the Staples Center for the Memorial. They have closed highways in LA for him and the news cameras are following the hearse as if it was OJ's bronco.

I have been watching msnbc but their commentators are annoying me. Especially this one chick. I'm taping vh1's coverage (because they only have 2.5 hours of it as opposed to msnbc's 6 hours) for Katie. They just interviewed John Norris, old time MTV news guy. He is not aging well. Or perhaps he just needs a more grown-up hair cut. I don't think 50 year olds should be sporting skater mops.

He's arrived at the Staples Center. Must go.

Update (12:36)-The service has started. Yes, Britta, the goosebumps come and go.

Update (1:45) - I had no idea Michael and Brooke Shields were such good friends. She is the first one to visibly tear up/cry.

I do like that all of the brothers are wearing one sparkly glove. And props to Jermaine for getting up to sing.

Update (2:28) - The We Are the World sing-a-long got me. Goosebumps. Teary eyes. I'm a schmuck. I wasn't expecting to react like that because they started out with some no names singing it but then when the brothers with their sparkly gloves went up there with Lionel and Michael's kids (who don't really know the words to the song)...

Ooooh, hot damn. I think I just spotted Tyrese on stage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that good of friends? You've never seen the video of Micahel with Brooke and Emmanuel Lewis at the Grammys? C'mon, I know you are young, but this stuff was priceless and timeless.

----------------------

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=051deeaad7fe0ee2&q=Emmanuel%20Lewis,%20Michael%20Jackson%20and%20Brooke%20Shields&prev=/images%3Fq%3DEmmanuel%2BLewis,%2BMichael%2BJackson%2Band%2BBrooke%2BShields%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLG_enUS309US309%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

MegHan said...

I didn't know! Sorry, I'm ignorant and young?

Britta said...

Who says you're ignorant and young?!

1. I watched throughout the day as I walked by the kitchens at work with the TV on. I was also reminded of the OJ bronco! Great minds think alike.

2. I did happen to walk in just as Paris Jackson was speaking, and I had to walk out. Definitely teary eyed!

3. I DVRed the whole thing, and was told I couldn't watch without one of my friends ... I'm afraid I'm going to cry. Thus I'm considering watching beforehand and not telling her.

4. Speaking of goosebumps, Amanda and I watched "Drop Dead Gorgeous" this weekend -- she got goosebumps at the end, too! Hahaha.

MegHan said...

Yes, the Paris part was intense. After it was over, I had to splash water on my face so it wouldn't look like I had just been crying when I went to the Post Office.