They’re Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
Last Wednesday, I found one (dead) silverfish as I was placing my vast array of books (Highlights of the collection: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Hung: The Measure of Black Men in America and The First Days of School (advice for first time teachers)) on a bookshelf. I called my emergency bug contact (Jennie because Katie was on an airplane) and made her assure me that the bug was just stuck to the bottom of the bookshelf in the move. Surely, the demonic silverfish cannot live through two moves (one to the storage shed and then one here). She pointed out that the 100 + degree temps we had last week probably killed them off too. I slept fine that night--with the light OFF.
Today, I get here and have spotted three itty bitty teenie weenie silverfish. They were on the windowsills (two in my bedroom and one in the dining room). I sprayed them with my spider killer. So they traveled with me? I think that seems impossible. I didn’t bring any of my stuff directly here from the old apt. Everything had a layover in the 115 degree storage garage. Luckily, Walmart has everything I need…including a kitchen bug killing spray that mentions silverfish on the bottle under what it kills. Hooray! It’s a shame I have to wait til morning to spray…wouldn’t want to suffocate of fumes (?) during the night.
Did someone say Walmart? Here is a downside to living in Illinois: the Walmarts close. Like they are only open until 10. What is that all about? Thank you, Valpo, for being a college town and understanding the needs of your people whether it be at noon or 10:06 pm.
While on that topic, let’s talk about how cashiers at Walmart don’t know what to do when you bring in your recyclable save the planet blue walmart sack. They have absolutely no idea what to do with your purchases. I was so environmentally happy the first time I remembered to bring my bag yet I walked out of the place ticked off. I had enough stuff to make the bag pretty full but it definitely should have all fit in my sack. I walked out of the place with my blue bag and THREE plastic bags. Now, something’s off here.
Today (second trip remembering the bag), the cashier asked me what I wanted in the bag. What do you mean what do I want? MY GROCERIES (minus the carton of eggs), dumb-butt. Sigh. Perhaps it’s me? I am over-reacting. Surely, they do not get trained on how to pack a grocery bag. If I have so much of a problem with them, I should just go to self check-out.
Those self check-out stations yell at you though. Error in the bagging area! Insert cash or select payment type! It gets me flustered. I hate drawing attention to myself…or rather I hate loud machines drawing attention to me.
I wrote this on Tuesday night but since my new residence is internet and cable-less for the time being, it gets posted on Friday.
1 comment:
Hooray for the new apartment.
Yeah, I don't have a Wal-mart anywhere conveniently close to where I live, but I do have 2 Targets. Fortunately, I prefer Target to Wal-mart, but unfortunately every Target I've ever known closes every night at 10PM.
Only one comment on those environment friendly bags: why? Just use the plastic bags. The plastic bags are made from recycled materials as it is. Just re-recycle them!
Post a Comment