Saturday, October 4, 2008

Locked Out

Good and bad things come in threes, right? Let's look at the data from my week...

Good Thing #1. On Wednesday after school, I spied a very attractive male.

Good Thing #2
. On Thursday, Andy spied a Nutrageous candy bar wrapper on the side of the road and we were reminded of how tasty they are....all that peanut butter and chocolate..MMM! No, littering was not the good part of the day. We then stopped at Speedway for gas(at $3.60!) and snacks for Stringy. When the rest of my carpool came back to the car, Andy had a King Size Nutrageous bar for me. It was AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS. OH SO TASTY!

Now you're prepared for a third good thing, si? So was I.

At 5:02, I checked the hours for the library and found it was open until 6. Having just finished my book, I wanted to get over there to return it and get a new one(The sequel to Good in Bed. I was excited). Katie had called me while I was eating my grilled cheese and bacon sandwich, so I returned her phone call as I was headed out to my car parked on the street. I got through the garage and to the garbage can when I realized I did NOT have my car keys....

Guess whose house key is on her car key ring? The same person who keeps the entry door from her garage into her kitchen LOCKED!

Yup, I got locked out. I hung up the phone with Katie and called my rental company's after-hour emergency number. Here is an accurate transcription of the phone call:

Woman: Realty Company's Name
Locked Out Me: Hi, this is Meghan at my address. I am currently locked out of my house...
Woman: SILENCE
Locked Out Me: HELLO?
Woman: It looks like they do not do after hours lock-outs.
Locked Out Me: .........SO....now what do I do?
Woman: Call a Locksmith.
Click.

I figured after that phone call, a voicemail to the rental company(for them to get on Monday if they do not work on Saturday?) wouldn't hurt. At least it would express my frustration that the emergency number really does not work for me in an emergency. Ok, maybe I didn't have a kid drowning in the bath tub or a stove about to set my house on fire while I was locked out but it was cold and about to get dark and I was in my garage with the spiders, crickets and centipedes.

Ring, ring, Katie. She found a locksmith number for me. I left a voicemail and still at 10:10 on Saturday morning have not received a call back. So, no, a locksmith did not come to the rescue.

I called Matt to see how tall his tallest ladder is to try to break into my bedroom window. It's a good thing we ruled out this option since that window was indeed locked. (My living room window was not locked but had those burglar protection window stoppers down so I could not climb over the bush and break in.)

Ring, ring, Jennie. Papa W. says I can use a credit card to get in. I take out my Mickey D's gift card and go to work at breaking in my house.

After 5 minutes, ring, ring Katie(again). She looked up on google how exactly one can break into a house using a plastic card. I try...for probably a half hour or so...texting friends, sending pictures of me attempting this feat in the process. I switched to my Culver's gift card. I even alternated between the garage door and the front door. I did not like being at the front door because the people driving/walking by were looking at me funny.

Katie called back with this news: On youtube, there is a video of a 10 year old kid succeeding at breaking into his locked house with a credit card. Well, that really boosted my confidence....
She also said I needed the thinnest card I had in my wallet. Hello, library card. I proceeded to try until Jennie called back for a progress update. I noted no progress and she offered Mama W to pick me up on the way home from work/Wendys/Bob Evans. I declined at first then called back 3 minutes later to accept.

6:18 My savior in a red car pulls up and brings me to my Indiana Home.

6:32 I sit down in the big recliner in their living room.

6:36 The owner of my management company calls and says he can let me into my house in 30 minutes.

SWEET.

When we met him at 7:10, he said that the emergency number is supposed to give me more information than it did. Ha. I'm just glad I called the actual company voicemail and left a long winded message for Jeff or John or Jake or Murphy to get.

The effect my efforts on my breaking in devices....

I hope the librarians ask why my card is so wrinkled when I go there today.

Oh, and when we got back from getting shakes and fries after our evening trip to M-ville, Matt used his key to break open my door a la the style I was trying with my gift cards. I was pissed. Thanks, Matt, now I know it's easy to break into my apartment. I was under the impression it was hard since I couldn't do it. Thanks. A. Lot. Jerkface.

P.S. I asked the kids what I should be for Halloween and one kid responded Big Foot on his paper...he then illustrated a picture of what my costume should look like. It appears below.


Yes, that says Hairy Beast at the top. Good Friday.

1 comment:

Britta said...

Hahaha, at least he gave you nice girly eyelashes!