Friday, May 2, 2008

I am not impressed!

The new Cinemark movie theater in Valpo is CRAP. Let me tell you why...

1. It's too darn small. There is like hardly any room to stand in line to buy your ticket(not that it was crowded when we were there but when it gets crowded...yuck)

2. It smelled like burnt popcorn when we walked in.

3. It smelled like horse/pig poop as we walked down the hall to the theater. It also smelled like poop in the theater. Matt said it was fresh paint...on the carpetlike walls? I think not.

4. We arrived 25 minutes early for the movie and had to sit in the front section. In the back row of it but still. You had all that space east of 49 and you made a movie theater that fits about 108 people in one theater? For a movie(Made of Honor) that JUST opened TODAY?

5. Aren't movie theaters supposed to be freezing? I was sweating my non-existies off.

6. They came over the loud speaker DURING the movie to tell us there was a severe weather warning. DURING the movie. Did they replay the part of the movie it interrupted? Nope! People, we aren't going to leave for another 45 minutes when the movie is OVER. So, if the warning is still in effect as we leave then we might care about the announcement.

7. The above announcement sent the 11 year olds in front of us into hysterics. One of them was in tears. Like hardcore tears. Hyper-ventilating. Honey, we're INSIDE. Apparently, she was not be comforted by Patrick Dempsey's blue eyes or his amazing dark hair and felt the need(along with her posse) to keep getting up to cry in the hall and then call her parents(I guess) INSIDE the theater. Oh, stupid girl, did you know that others were trying to watch a movie? No? Did you get the picture when Matt went SSSSSSSHHHHHHH loudly? You're lucky he did that because what was going to come out of my mouth in 2.4 seconds was going to be a bit more vulgar. And, if you didn't understand the "bj" joke in the movie, I'm pretty sure you would not have understood the choice words in my vocabulary.

Side note: Matt went to the bathroom while the girls were freaking out in the hall and I guess he attempted to calm them down. He said "There are a lot of adults here. If they start panicking, then there is something wrong. Otherwise, get in the damn theater and stop pissing off my friend." Ok, maybe he didn't say that last part...

Anyway, in conclusion, I am never going to the Porter's Vale Cinemark again. I much prefer my Portage 16 movie experience. Yup, even with the 20 minute drive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had the exact opposite views of the theaters.

1) There are two separate areas to buy tickets.

2 & 3) You've never burned microwave popcorn, ever? Is it not possible some kid burned a batch on his first weekend ever? It happens, and I sure didn't notice the manure smell.

4) I think your choice of movie had more to do with the size of the theatre. A movie with a 12% rating on rottentomatoes.com and opens to a whopping 14 mil doesn't deserve a theater with more than 30 seats.

5) I am always hot and was very comfortable on both of my trips to said theater.

6 & 7) Of said weather warning, ours wasn't over the loud speaker, but a manager actually came inside during the movie to tell of the tornado warning. The tornado report was erroneous, but it was reported to have a tornado actually touch down less than three miles from the area. When talking to manager after movie, I received two free tickets for the future.

On the other hand, Portage 16 is way over hyped. I've had my vehicle broken into there, if it rains you hear it over the movie, and it is the only place I have ever seen a movie where the reels were actually shown in the wrong order, not once, but twice.

In closing, maybe it was the free screening of Iron Man , free popcorn soda and free local restaurant food the day before the theater opened. Maybe it was the free t-shirts we got on actual opening night. Maybe it was the free passes I'll use to see Indiana Jones. Regardless, I'll be happy to visit Cinemark again, while trying to avoid Portage 16 unless I'd like a bad movie experience combined with the chance to get robbed in the beautiful villa of Portage.